Everyone likes their own flavor (of chili), so twist and stray from this as much as you'd like. Just do it... it's so easy and so good.
1. In your biggest pot, put some oil over a medium heat. Then add a chopped onion and a chopped bell pepper. Cook until the vegi's are soft but not brown.
2. Add like a half pound of ground meat, like turkey or beef. Start to brown that.
3. While that's going, add salt, pepper, like 2 tbs of cumin, like 2 tbs of chili powder, some herbs like oregano or thyme, and whatever else. Think mexican flavors. Stir well and break up all the meat.
4. When that meat is brown, dump in a full bottle of beer. 1st choice: something dark. 2nd: something mexican. 3rd: Coors. Reduce that until all the liquid is pretty much gone.
5. Add a can of drained chopped tomatoes. Or, a can of drained whole tomatoes, crushing the tomatoes with your bare hands as you go. The texture is way better that way. Also add like 3 cups of chicken broth. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let it go for 20 minutes while you drink a beer.
6. Then, add a few cans of beans. Dig on 2 cans of black beans, but sub in kidney, white, navy. Let that go for at least 30 minutes, or more. Just let it simmer while you relax.
7. Serve with grated cheese, sliced radishes, and/or sour cream mixed with ground cumin.